Monday, February 12, 2007

Cinnamon Brown!

So what does it mean to be absolutely surrendered to God? Well I like to think of it like this. Consider yourself to be a pen or pencil or what ever your preferred writing utensil may be. My preferred writing utensil happens to be a cinnamon scented brown marker, you know, the kind you would find in a typical Sunday school room. So lets say that as this cinnamon scented marker I can choose whom I will allow to colour using me. I have the choice between who will get to use me – God or the devil. Now in Gods hands I can be used to create a wonderful masterpiece. God can take my brown cinnamon scented colour and weave it amongst the rest of the unique colours and scents of His children and create the most beautiful picture ever seen.

But what happens if I don’t let God colour with me? Well then that beautiful masterpiece will still be the most amazing masterpiece, just without my unique cinnamon brown woven into your mint green, grape purple, or wild cherry red. God’s wonderful masterpiece will always go on, it doesn’t hinge on me and it doesn’t hinge on you. The main component of God’s wonderful masterpiece is Jesus Christ and His sacrifice. The rest of us have our special gifts to offer. Those special gifts can be used by God to bring others to a place in their lives where they accept the forgiveness that comes as a result of Christ’s sacrifice. It is those unique gifts, those distinct colours that when brought together form the splendid background of God’s great work, with Jesus front and centre of the whole design.

Is there a third option here? No! But many believe that there is. Like so many Christians today I can try to let God colour with me and let the devil colour with me too. I can attempt to allow both of them colour with me, thinking that I will get to be in God’s masterpiece while still getting to experience what comes with letting the devil have control of my life.

Can I let both God and the devil colour with me? Can you? Well this question I have already answered but just for fun here is a neat way to answer this for yourself. Stop reading this, go out and find someone you know and ask them to perform the following experiment with you. Take two pieces of paper; on one of those pieces of paper draw a simple drawing of two or three stick people standing in front of their home. You can add a couple of tree if you like and maybe even a family pet… whatever floats your boat. Now once you’ve finished the first drawing take the next piece of paper and try to draw the same drawing again only this time as you draw have your friend hold onto your writing utensil and try to assist you.

Right away you will notice how much harder it is to draw your simple little sketch. Having two forces trying to control the same tool is pretty tough and the outcome is pretty sub par, moreover that’s two forces that are trying to work in unison. Two opposing forces in control of the same utensil - now that’s impossible. That’s why the Bible says that a man cannot have two masters - it simply cannot be done.

Just as surely as you wouldn’t be able to create your best work of art using a tool that was partially controlled by another, neither can God. We all have times in our lives when we are more or less willing to be used by God. During those times when we are more willing, God can use us more for He has greater influence through us at those times. At those times of greater influence that is when our colour really comes through in God’s great work and we begin to fulfill one of our purposes here on earth.

A surrendered heart is a critical aspect of Christian living, but if it is so important than why do so few people posses it? Well for starters having a surrendered heart takes work. Having a surrendered heart means moving beyond ulterior motives and misguided spirituality. It means seeking God because you want to seek God, nothing else, no other reasons than God and God alone. That’s what it takes to have your wild cherry red in the masterpiece. Do you want to be used by God? Then let him be the only one holding onto you.

1 comment:

Rob Petkau said...

Well said!
I think I saw a disney cartoon once and in it were a couple of quill pens that were drawing by themselves - no hand - or rather an unseen hand. It was like the two pens were figure skaters ice dancing together... anyways - just thought of that while reading your post.